I am running the last 35 miles of the Vermont 100 as a pacer for my friend Brent Boyle. By completing this race, he's going to qualify for the holy grail of ultra-running, the Western States 100 in the Sierra Nevadas in 2009. Much of our run together will be at night, with headlamps, after he's already run 65 miles.
While I was out running today along the Potomac, I was thinking about the iPhone 3G and it's new navigation capabilities. I'll plan to get it Jul 11 when it's released and test some of the apps and navigation features for a week before taking it on the run.
Things I hope it will do:
Allow me to communicate using voice and video with people who care about Brent's race but cannot be there on the trail.
Post to the blog.
Receive motivational videos or messages from supporters.
Become a mobile GPS endpoint in Google Earth so that Google Earth users can track us.
Doubts about it:
AT&T coverage in the mountains of Vermont.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I've tried finding an elevation profile for the VT100 but have so far been unable. I hear that the last 30 miles is mostly uphill and we'll be doing it at night. I sure hope my source (Christina) is wrong.
I'm also interested to see if the cellular reception has gotten better up there since we were last there in 2006. They're putting up cell towers all over Vermont, aren't they?
Post a Comment